If you own or rent a home, you know that your carpets get a lot of foot traffic. While vacuuming once or twice a week will help to pull up dirt and debris, your carpets need to be shampooed or cleaned by professionals every 8 to 12 months. The length of time you go between professional cleaning depends on how many people and animals live in the home and other factors that could cause damage to your carpet. In between professional carpet cleaning, you may need to shampoo your carpet yourself to get rid of any stains or odors.
Today on the blog, we will go over some tips to keep your carpet looking clean and smelling fresh for those “in-between” times. From general upkeep tips to how to shampoo your carpet yourself, this list will keep your carpet looking like new all year round. It’s also important to note that you don’t have to wait eight months to have your carpets professionally cleaned. In fact, many people get their carpets cleaned twice a year or every six months!
If it has been eight or more months since you last had a professional carpet cleaning in Idaho Falls, contact Steamatic today to schedule yours.
Tips for Keeping Your Carpet Clean
If you have carpets in your home, you’ll want to stick to a basic cleaning schedule to ensure the longevity of your carpet. Some ways that you can do this include:
- Cleaning your carpets at least once a week; more for areas that get heavy foot traffic.
- At least once a month, spend extra time cleaning all the nooks, crannies, and corners of your home (near baseboards, heater vents, etc.) using the hose attachment of your vacuum.
- Take your time and pass over each section a couple of times. One pass over with the vacuum may not cut it, especially for longer carpet.
- Use a crisscross pattern over high traffic areas to remove any “ground in” dirt or debris.
- To remove odors, and revitalize carpets you can sprinkle baking soda on your carpet about once a month.
DIY Carpet Cleaning
When used in conjunction with Idaho Falls professional carpet cleaning, cleaning your carpets yourself is useful, especially if you have pets or small children. Here is a basic overview of how to shampoo your carpet or a specific stain yourself:
- Start by removing any furniture in the room where you will be cleaning the carpet.
- Next, thoroughly vacuum the area. Dirt, hair, and other debris can all cause your carpet cleaner to clog.
- Treat stains with a spot remover. Not all spot removers work the same, so read and follow the direction as instructed on the bottle.
- It’s time to shampoo the carpet! Just like spot removers, not all carpet cleaners work the same. Be sure to read the manual and instructions to understand how your particular machine operates.
- Start in the corner of the room and make strips with the carpet cleaner. Be sure to pull back slowly as you clean each piece.
- When it’s time to change the water, dump it out either outside or in a toilet.
- After you have completed carpet cleaning using the cleaning solution, go back over the area using only cold water.
- Rinse and empty both tanks once you have finished shampooing the carpet.
- Make sure the carpet is completely dry before putting the furniture back to prevent indentations and mildew.
To schedule a professional Idaho Falls carpet cleaning, contact Steamatic of Idaho Falls today. You can be confident you are getting the highest quality steam carpet cleaning in the industry when you use Steamatic’s proven steam cleaning system.